Thread: Team 1911's
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46   #18
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Not long before I went to a doorkicker unit, they switched over to M9's from the 1911 for the shooting school. There was a LOT of bitching about it from all angles. I'd shot nothing but 1911's until then; my POWs were Essex frame jobs with the lugs and recesses matched up and Bomar sights-that was just what I was used to.

I don't remember too many failures with the M9's during training or afterward, but I never did get used to it-especially the 3500-round (or whatever) reciever check. Never gave it much thought, because it was very rarely the primary weapon, and when it was, you could always pack another M9.

I stayed with 1911's for my own defense and shooting all the way up until about a year ago. As I mentioned before, I equate them to riding and maintaining a knucklehead Harley-old technology, pain in the ass, but fun.

The important martial difference was a slower-moving, bigger chunk of (ball) lead.

When I switched over to HK, it took quite a while for the controls to become second nature to manipulate, but it's a vastly superior platform for the .45.

I realize HK isn't available in this case while 1911's are, and if you have the parts and smith tools available to get them in shape to ALWAYS bust a cap, then I'd go with a 1911 for sure.

Hopefully a handgun won't ever have to be your primary weapon.