View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 20:50   #13
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Lawmakers are great and all when needed but IMO term limits is needed or a deregulate group of law repeal-ers to offset the craziness aren't law makers allowed to introduce regulation to repeal???. My thinking on this is, is to understand the sheer amount of entrepreneurial spirit crushing restraints their are on innovation and motivation a person has to either be a businessman who has had to pay an army of lawyers tons of money to figure out how to avoid legal entanglements (Trump) or a small entrepreneur who has struggled due to regulation that makes no sense but crushes him while chains flourish (The Barber, Mechanic). Only a businessman on the receiving end of that regulation would be motivated to deregulate. Career politicians should never happen it is not a career nor should it be they never face the working end of bills they pass so could care less about the consequences.
Heinlein's model of a bi-cameral legislature looks pretty good by comparison. One to pass legislation if 2/3 can agree it's needed. The other body's sole mission is to repeal stuff & it only takes 1/3 to decide that something so stupid that 1 out of 3 agree it's stupid needs to be kicked to the curb.

That would free up some 3-ring binders I'll wager.
And yes: Term Limits, c'mon y'all, sing it with me.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote