Thread: Kifaru Rucks
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13   #23
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

ZXR review

Well, having just spent 22 days under a Kifaru ZXR on combat patrols and recon missions in the jungles of *** I can tell you that I wouldnt take it back for a second go round if I had an ALICE pack as an option.

While the ruck is as comfortable to wear as one can hope for bearing 90 lbs of light weight gear it isnt as great a ruck for this environment as for rucking on flat open terrain. I found the small size of the top opening quite annoying when looking for something and would have liked to see that opening maybe another 5 or so inches in diameter. The bottom opening seemed to be a better size. The pack wore well over my Eagle Riverine LBE but use of the waist/hip belt is mandatory if moving more than 50 meters. Use of the belt would be near impossible if utilizing a vest or other LBE which hangs low (infact I had to raise mine to use the belt). I tried using it sans belt but due to the tendency of the back to round when the cinch straps are used; the shape of the back padding; and the lumber pad, it beat me to death (listing side to side) while trying to maneuver thru the thick foliage and vegetation found here.

It also takes a considerable amount of time to don and adjust before moving out. I found this to be a problem when moving out from a halt (The Indig dont wait for you to get your shit on and adjusted before they start moving out, and they will leave you.) The slide locks for the shoulder straps seem to work themselves loose during movement which required constant adjustments to the shoulder straps, lift offs, and sternum strap; this become more than annoying after a short amount of time. I also found the ruck too tall, for me atleast, to use in this environment due to the number of wait-a-minute vines and low hanging trees; my XTL caught on everything it seems. The side slot pockets were useful for holding my hydration bladders until I bumped into a black palm and pierced one of them on the thorns then I started carrying the other one inside the main compartment.

All that being said, the ability to go "slick" was a benefit as I didnt have side pockets catching on things like the guys carrying ALICE's. The XTL was great for get to quickly items and again the pack was pretty comfortable given the 90 lbs of light weight gear I had.

And the worst part about the whole thing... the inability, due to how low it extends past the lumbar pad and lack of a large diameter bottom, to do a rucksack flop and remain in a reclined position... lol

Now if we could get Mel to make a frame for the ALICE we might be in business... The search for the perfect ruck continues.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote