Thread: Brand New Day
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 16:46   #19
judcargile
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
If you really wanted an answer, you could have defined the requirement better and explained why you want someone else to do design work for you/your company.

I am missing the purpose of a mag fed automatic rifle since the BAR, Bren, and RPK.

The mag feed on the SAW is a major problem.

Why not use a linked ammo feed system, and save the mag issues? I suspect that the links are lighter to boot.

You could dedicate the weight savings to a heavier barrel or a quick change one.

TR
Actually sir, I do not want anyone to design this and I am not exactly lost on the concept. To have someone design or lay everything out would take all of the fun out of it.

I will just ask the questions,

Do I have to modify the bolt carrier?

Do I want to look more at a design toward manipulating from the bolt stop/release or do I want to hold the bolt off in the opposite direction?

Would you say that Colt's basic open-bolt design can be refined into the later versions or is it significantly different?

That gives me pretty much all of the direction that I want. Is it all the direction that I need? Time will tell and DOING this, to me, is the most thrilling thing in the entire world!

We distribute the Aeres Shriker belt-fed upper and it has a quick change barrel; But, it fires from a closed bolt and I do not have faith in that. I have never fired it or anything else; But, to me the belt has an ass load of problems. As you know, the belt gets hung on everything, it pulls trash into the action and or breaks, the boxes are bulky, ect. Sure, you can throw down 200 rounds without reloading, it has an advantage over magazines and even drums that are as bulky as the boxes for the saw. If they Surefire HCM is or ever will be reliable, think of all of the ammo you can carry as opposed to a drum or belt-box! It would need a quick change barrel, certainly.

We manufacture AR platforms, it is not a contracted machine shop. IF we can get the open bolt into a working prototype, it is not going to cost very much. It is a challenge to even try and I am having a ball with this.
judcargile is offline   Reply With Quote