View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 09:46   #19
NC6J
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC45 View Post
I currently have 2 years of college completed and am considering enlisting NG vs. AD as a Rep 63/18x. My question is, is it possible/likely to finish my degree if I make it to a NG SF unit? Thanks.
Short answer: yes, a guy on an NGSF team has time to be a fulltime college student.
I have watched guys finish engineering degres in A/5-19.
I have watched guys on actived duty struggle to finish college even while working a predictable schedule as a SWCS instructor.

Long answer: if you haven't decided between active component or Guard, I am going to recommend active. SF seems to be the only thing you are sure about for your post-college life. SF, like any career path, requires commitment. SF and a college degree seems to be the only commitments you are sure about, do that.
If you find a civilian career path down the road, you can transition to NGSF as a more experienced CMF 18 and pursue that civilian career.
But either way, if having a college degree is part of your plan, you will be better served spending the next two years getting that done first. The longer you wait to finish, the more challenges you will have to overcome to get it done. All you have to do right now is just register for the next term.
If you ask anyone in SF who left college early to join and finished college later, to a man they will tell you that they would have been better of finishing shool first and joing 2-3 years later than they did.