Thread: Horus Scopes
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 14:29   #4
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

A lot depends on what you want to do with the 7 mag. It has good range if handloaded with high BC bullets. The least scope I would put on a 1K hunting rifle is a Luepold VX3 with the Long Range option in 50 mmm. They have upped the quality of the glass and the coatings and the dials are now what the old Mark 4 were- i. e dual springs. Very reliable scope under adverse conditions.

Mostly I use 56 mm Nightforces but the Luepolds will get the same job done 99.9% of the time for less money. Bear in mind that at 60+ years my eyes really need the large objectives.

A lot of people buy the Sightron S3 but so far nobody with one has managed to kill an animal further than I can throw a rock. So that says something about the quality of the hunters who buy them or the quality of the scope. Not sure which is not up to snuff.

If someone was to just drop off a box on my front door step free of charge I would surely wish a Hensoldt 72mm was in it. If I ever build another super long range rifle that is what I will mount on it.

I know nothing about ARs so I got nothing to say about that.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote