View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 15:47   #14
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I was privileged to bury one of the senior officers at Arlington Cemetery back in late 01 or early 02. I am, however, ashamed to have forgotten his name and have had trouble looking it up.
Hey Miclo,

Sorry this post is so delayed....I haven't been on here for a few weeks. After reading this thread about the Devil's Brigade, and realizing I had no idea who they were, I went and did some reading on the unit.

I came across this site [LINK] and it has a MS Word file with the full American/Canadian/enlisted/officer roster. They list 103 American/Canadian officers from Captain to General, which I dumped into the attached file (pdf) and cross-referenced with the Arlington nationwide gravesite locator. There are several FSSF officers that are buried at Arlington, but I couldn't find one from the time you indicated. They are highlighted in blue on my list. Maybe you can read through all the names and jog your memory. HTH...

I'm glad I took the time to read about this inspiring unit. Very interesting....and I particularly liked this bit: [Source]

"Yet the 1st SSF–the forerunner of America's Green Berets–proved that soldiers from two different nations could work effectively as part of an elite, integrated unit, drawing upon each others' strengths and forming a remarkable cohesion that stemmed from the self-confidence of each of its members and a disdain for mindless regulation and regimentation.

Small, specialized units such as the 1st SSF did not, by themselves, win World War II for the Allies. Their value cannot be based on battles won or lost, or in the number of towns liberated or prisoners captured, or in the casualties inflicted upon the enemy. But perhaps their well-reported exploits and indomitable spirit in the face of overwhelming odds contributed in a major way to the optimism that, even in the darkest days of the war, kept whispering President Franklin D. Roosevelt's words in every soldier's and civilian's ear: 'We shall gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God.'"

I guess that sums up why I like reading PS.com....even though there can be quite a bit of frustration expressed by you QPs here towards our politicians and direction of this country, ultimately it may well be your unique skills and accomplishments that enable our country to "gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FSSF officer roster.pdf (46.0 KB, 8 views)
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote