View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 14:25   #9
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
As a teachable moment, may I play devil's advocate for a moment and argue the other sides possible position, not that I'm qualified to... but I'm sure those far more in the know can shed some light.

Could this be a "lesser of evils" situation...

NO

There are more missions then can be filled by the current force.
Higher up says "build".
If USASFC doesn't build, the money and the mission will go elsewhere.
(i.e. MARSOC...the new SFAB, etc)

SOCOM went into the Senates Armed Forces committee hearing and said we need to get bigger in order to full fill mission needs.

Is command stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Is the lesser evil here to lower standards, get the numbers through, keep the mission, keep the money, sideline the relatively small number of guys who aren't up to scratch.

We are now...the missions we interjected SF into were not fit for an A-tm and we are not staffed to be a DA force.....we are force multipliers that does preparation and training with resistance forces and develops supporting infrastructure....we fight when our indig/host nation fights

Ya can hate it, but playing the game, and playing it well is a necessary evil.
The Army is after all a public sector creature, with all the issues that come with being a part of the public sector beast. Win the battles you can win, play the game with the battles you can't win. And choose your battles wisely.

Unless you are the leader of the game and have chosen battles we cannot win and at this stage those we must fight are sitting at star fleet level billets.....they are the ones who have not gone to bat to pull us back a little and better employ us where we should be employed....If GEN Thomas actually did refuse to grow the force then we are in the right direction finally the force applied to any problem set must be appropriate and the right application of type of response and best units designed to place against it. SF cannot do everything.

I've always said that USASFC needed to take back the recruiting mission off USAREC, who aren't geared right to attract large numbers of quality 18x recruits.

Looking forward to learning from the replies.

S
The teaching point here is for the candidate....the reality of the issues here are legitimate. Don't let this slow you down and by the same token you must be your brothers keeper in the Q.....if the guy has questionable ethics, character and morals when it comes to this career it is up to you guys to weed each other out....as you have read the cadre have been defanged in some ways...if you care you will do what it takes to run off bad candidates even if it requires some old school methods.