View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 20:39   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheepdog View Post
Not that I have a scheming mind, but I think the consummate poser will now claim either that his medals and missions were classified and couldn't be listed or a mistake was made and they were omitted by accident. They are always one step ahead of the good guys.
Yeah, well, first of all, valor awards are rarely (if ever) classified. The closest I have seen to that had the locations changed.

Second, every individual is required to sign his / her DD214 upon separation, attesting that the information on it is true and correct.

As far as I am, concerned, if it ain't on the DD214, it probably didn't happen.

Most of the posers I have seen busted were never even in the military, or were support personnel. You will occasionally get a Soldier or Marine who has a verifiable combat record that they should be proud of, that they have embellished, and frankly, I don't get it. Be proud of what you have earned. If you want more, work more and earn more.

Besides, we are talking about a pretty small community, and it is not like you are going to show up after 30 years with a previously unnoticed MoH or an SF Tab. And the classified units (all the way back to VN) are not that big, it is very easy to bust someone claiming service there.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote