View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 19:47   #6
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
Thank you very much for all the input, though to be honest, its what I feared I would hear. In regards to doing one or the other, Does this apply only to the demands of Special Forces or to the National Guard in general? I ask because there are Commissioned Officers in the NG that own businesses and meet the demands of having to lead, granted comparing Officers to SF soldiers may be apples to oranges.

I also asked the original question because there is a great deal of flexibility in the business. I would also not be alone and am fortunate to have a great support staff, to whom I would delegate responsibility. Pardon my ignorance regarding the demands of being in the SF community, but serving part time in such capacity leads me to believe it might be possible to also run a business that affords a very flexible schedule.

I appreciate your desire to serve. It doesn't matter how flexible the business' schedule is. If it's a real business with employees, you have a responsibility to them. You can't serve both them and the service and do either one justice. There's a difference between a 1 person consulting or reseller business and a company that is doing facility management with a work force.

I'm not an officer. That said, the training requirements for even lower enlisted are much more than one weekend a month, two weeks a year. What are you going to do when you get back from a deployment and then have to go to the Captain's Career Course? What about OBC? MOS school? If you go to an Airborne unit, then you have Jump School...what about that? Then there's your civilian education, which you will be required to continue in order to advance... All of that on top of running a business?

It sounds like you *might* be able to walk away from the business for your 6 (is it 6 or 8 for officers?) year commitment and then come back to it. Don't try to do both, pick one or the other and put 100% into it. It would suck to try to do both and end up spreading yourself too thin and failing at each of them.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote