View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10   #15
Big Money
Asset

Take a crash course in Creole. It is quite easy, especially if you have any previous language training. I had a fella tell me one time "the country speaks French, but the people speak Creole- if you want to talk to me, speak my language". That was pivitol. On another occasion, I was listening to two Jaques who were planning my demise. They didn't know the white guy could understand them. I essentially told them "if you mess with me, I'll crack your skulls". Their mouths dropped in disbelief that "the blanc" spoke Creole. They were my new best friend and busted their asses to help me out all day. Take home message is that if you can communicate and build rapport, SOME people, just like people in any other country, will do what they can to help and support you.

Do not assume machetes, large knives, clubs, etc are always weapons. If you can speak Creole and ask "why do you have that", alot of situations can be defused before they even become a situation. However, it would seem that a desperate population has become even more desperate. Do not judge good people who do bad things in bad times. If my family was dying, I would take extreme measures to save them. But from the other perspective, if clubbing an angry woman meant I could continue to save a dozen others, than I will take her out and treat her injuries once I have the opportunity. I am thinking the situation is going to deteriorate quickly so defensive positions, concertina, panic-rooms, "the Alamo", and a fast boat with the engine idling have to be considered in the plan- you can not hold off 100,000's starving, dying people with good intentions, even if you team is armed.

In the meantime:

You should assume you will have NO access to water. Period. The water off the coast along PAP is undoubtedly so toxic from unregulated pollutants, sewage, and runoff that even under normal conditions that no amount of treatment will make it safe to drink. Local bottled water doesn't mean it's necessarily any better, even in the best circumstances.

I would guess that latex gloves under leather gloves would be the way to go in many instances. Infectious disease will be more than rampant. I would be less concerned about latex allergies than malaria, anthrax, tetnus, HIV, TB, etc.

Keep your geographical location in mind: if you get rains or storms, there will be flooding, landslides, etc- plus all the death and debris now flowing. You will not want to be looking for the high ground after the fact.

Assume you are on your own: any agency, organization, etc will be maxed out on their own problems. UN? Forgetaboutit.

Good luck to all.