View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57   #2
one-zero
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Just finished up a WEMT myself. Just for the hell of it since I don't have 18D's around all the time to keep me straight, some 18Ds came to the course for the improvisational wilderness value along w/ some RN/PA/MDs (last week of course).
Your right about the granola factor - didn't reveal my background until about a week into it. Now have 1 potential 18Xrayer and a good portion of "former" OBAMA voters going for McCain now. They just thought I was some Ol' outdoor guy who was really well rounded and started to come to depend on my insights into certain situations as they were all usually stressed out.
I was 15-20 yrs older than most and in better shape, backed up everything w/actions vice talk during the course...really crushed their preconceived notions on many fronts, so I feel like I got alot more than my WEMT training. Not all koolaid drinkers are beyond help.

hardest part for me was staying w/in legal scope of practice as many QPs (apart from 18Ds) have also received TCCC training (and applied it) so needle decompressions, IVs, and some meds admin was a no-no....
The instructors (even the more granola types) expressed immense respect for 18Ds and enjoy having them attend.
Definitely recommend the course.