View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50   #73
Oldschool45B
Auxiliary

And with a piss poor sustained rate of fire. If the Army began to phase in the M110 to replace the M4 (and this is laughable as they are both built for a reason, and those reasons don't even come close to being remotely the same other than shooting people) it would be one of the most colossal mistakes in military history. Look at the problems that were experienced in Wanat with high sustained rates of fire in the M4 (added to piss poor user level maintenance) and the issues we had when we took the M110 down range. Broken pieces everywhere. In less than 90 days I had 2/3rds dead lined and could not get replacement parts. The Marines got theirs, found accuracy to be unacceptable and reliability was horrid. So they dropped them last I heard.

I have one of the original SASS rifles built by DPMS for the military contract and the Ops Inc can for it and it runs circles around our M110s in both accuracy and reliability departments. How Knights got the award for the rifle contract is beyond me. But I do seem to remember and investigation about that.....

If the Army wanted to bring back a 308 battle rifle, they already have them and we see them coming back more and more. I just finished teaching a DMR class for a bunch of engineers that got issued the EBR as part of their deployment kit, and when we were done with them in a weeks time these guys who are nothing special when it comes to shooting were making 600m head shots regularly in 4 knot full value winds. They could engage larger targets (3X3) out to 1275 with 3 of 4 shots. the weapon works, why mess with a good thing by bringing in a POS.

Last edited by Oldschool45B; 07-14-2010 at 10:56.
Oldschool45B is offline   Reply With Quote