View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 19:31   #47
allamerican8204
Asset

SCAR 16

I hope I don't offend anyone by replying to this thread, as i'm not a QP and relatively new I have been on a pretty good bit and mostly reading but I do think I have discovered FN's intentions.

I recently(this week) purchased a new SCAR 16 in black. I wanted to get a good assault rifle, as I have mostly handguns and hunting rifles & shotguns. I had gotten a big check from the GI bill and wanted to treat myself. Being a veteran of the 82nd I had plenty of experience with an M4 and was looking for a change. Well when I researched some of the newer weapons coming out I came upon the SCAR series and numerous articles of how "nameless operators" loved it and SOCOM had adopted it. Well what better way to validate the greatness of a weapon than it being adopted by SOCOM and prefered by actual Operators? Well now I realize my mistake of having access to this forum and after purchasing I simply searched "SCAR" and came upon this thread. My impressions of it after shooting it is that it is exceptionally accurate. With the eotech after a few groups zeroing it I was able to make one ragged hole with 3 rounds(American tactical XM193's). However, with a dpms that would have run $1000 cheaper I could have most likely done the same thing. I agree with the early post that it is not a quantum leap in technology. Also the stock feels great to me once I adjusted it just right but it does seem flemsy and like it would fail after heavy use. One question I did have, has anyone who has fired the military version have any problems with the noise level? I know the muzzlebreak is different on the civi version. On the very first shot (I wear hearing protection when firing handguns but never with long guns) I completely lost hearing in my left ear. It was worse than firing my kimber. I would imagine if the noise level is the same on the military version you would easily go deaf during an engagement firing only a magazine. Well there is my .01 cents sorry if it's not my place to post on this subject. But I think FN is making a killing on selling the civi version touting it's SOCOM contract and those "nameless operators."

T.P.
allamerican8204 is offline   Reply With Quote