Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16   #844
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Move at right angles to the mob sounds like a logical tips.
Anyone here who've been caught (prepared or unprepared) in the midst of an urban uprising care to share their lesson learned?
Unprepared. Was learning new 35mm camera & developing at the craft shop, so I was shooting boatloads of B&W. Encountering a little dust-up in the afternoon near the Farben Bldg. & found myself behind a police line while a bunch of commie-supported students played around. Students did an envelopment on the Polizei and I found myself on the wrong side of the lines. As I ducked down behind a retaining wall to change film an officer came leaping over to crack my head & I can only assume he thought I was preparing something to throw. He put a nice dent in the camera body I sacrificed to save my skull as I screamed "WTH!", then a few seconds later actually said "Excuse me" in English. I grabbed my shit & squirted out the side just as the place went full sporty with lots of CS and water cannon.

Simple lack of situational awareness & not keeping my head on a swivel. The movement at right-angle to the 2 jaws of the closing vice was done instinctually, not because of any tactical acumen on my part - but it worked.

(I got some great prints out of it, but the CBR NCO said that my exposure didn't count for recurring mask test - it does clear the sinuses though.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote