View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 21:28   #276
RTK
Guerrilla

I was thinking of him just this morning as a random flash thought. It is hard to believe it's been 5 years. I remember when I read TS's post a few days after his passing. I was in the field and had just sat down in my office. Upon reading the post I closed the door and wept.

COL. Jack provided advice and mentorship because he cared about people. I have a COL Jack saying hanging in my office space, a saying I've had in each office space since sometime in mid 2007. It says:

"You have to understand that I did not fit the mold of the typical officer as I considered myself to be a soldier who just happened to be an officer. Officers have several significant roles, but none more significant than using the power of their position to enable their subordinates (and I mean that in rank only) to succeed. That means that your job is to accomplish the mission (which you do not do on your own but by the effort of all the soldiers you focus on the tasks required) and take care of your troops (which means that you provide them with the leadership, training, resources,,etc. required to successfully perform those tasks and well as stand for them, with them, and always in front of them)."

It's advice I took to heart and advice I've tried to exemplify.

I miss him.