View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 05:07   #3
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

My experience with 10th Group folks is somewhat tainted as well. On the positive side, a CSM (just recently retired) who served in 10th Group for less than 10 years (most of his other time was spent with a Special Mission Unit) was the epitome of an unconventional warrior. He is someone I admire.

On the other hand, I've experienced two 10th Group officers (a major and a LTC) in the same time period. The major commanded with a feeling of distrust for the NCOs and ran the company like a conventional unit. The men recented this and the company's morale hit bottom quick. In general, they just attributed it to the man being from a different unit where things were done differently. The LTC, a good man with his heart in the right place. However, there was that certain way in which he ran the show that was different from what the guys were used to with the previous BCs (mostly 7th Grp guys). I guess that the way that 7th "Groupers" run things is a bit different and the men noticed certain things in this LTC that were not the norm. Anyway, I'm putting this as nicely as possible.

A CSM who is currently in 1SWTG (was a 7th Group guy for most of his career) put it this way: "I don't think that it is a particularly good idea to pull guys from one group and send him to another. Each group is different and it disrupts that group to make that kind of change; especially with a senior guy. Besides, all the cultural experience and language skill gained in one group may not apply at all in another."