Thread: Fly Fishermen?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I have been fly fishing in the Key for the last 10 yrs, but because of med "things", I have not been out in a couple years.

I started to tie but quickly found our these fingers are not the type that handle intricate thread well. So, I traded my access to the flats for flies. Worked well before I sold the boat.

Another great book on fly tying is Lefty's SaltWater Fly Patterns. You can scale most of the patterns down for fresh water winnie fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Saltwater-Fly-...4032633&sr=1-1

Part of our annual PoonTangle was a fly swap. I was very fortunate to get some outstanding examples,, and the fly liked them too..

One of the great things about saltwater fly fishing.. Like most animal species, the bigger ones tend to be a little slow. Soooo, they are easer to fool when your fly is not as pretty as the ones that win tying contest. In fact the big fish are plane stupid and will bite just about anything you throw in their face. On the flip side, Bones can as fickle as they go..

Tight Lines..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote