View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 13:36   #11
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post

What wt line / rod you fish these salt water flies with in fla?
How bout we just go over Fly setup selection.....

Well when you have been fly fishing since you were about 11 you collect a random assortment of rods, reels, lines, tippets, etc. just like any sport. I have most rods from 12wt to 4wt. If I had to say which one got the most use it would be the 6-7-8wts. in Fl sometimes 10wts. for bigger species.
Favorite all time rod...http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1238007483855

The line selection that is another story... fishing the flats on windy day I tend to keep to the faster forward sinking lines which help the crab or shrimp imitation get into position faster when site casting also helps to cut the wind.

If you haven't tried to cast into a nice headwind call me cause I would love to watch your first attempt.

Note I said windy day because the sinking line has a heft to it it makes it harder to make a soft and flat presentation unlike the normal floating weight forward line. If I had to pick one line to fish for any condition it would be this...http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...502&cmCat=perf
The line has enough bump in the front to throw short and double haul out to farther distances. Even though they say it is good in the wind it is still a wt FORWARD line. If you want to fish sinking lines with a floating fly line add a longer leader which adds scope and will let the fly sink fast against the leader to a certain depth and then slow down once it starts to sink the floating line. Tuned to proper depth can be deadly on target species.

Note about reels: as most of the trout fishermen know most beginners going after smaller species usually don't use reels as they can be hand pulled/cranked in. You don't really need a reel till you learn how to cast far enough and go after fish around 10lbs or greater. Now for buying a cool looking reel that's up to you and your wallet....

If you have a wallet for a reel you cannot break these... http://www.abelreels.com/pages/reels.htm and they are machined works of art to boot.

So now that you have a rod, reel and line you need to buy backing....sorry kinda out of order.... nothing needs to be said about that just buy the highest LB test you can fit on the reel and learn how to tie effective knots not to be confused with pretty knots!!! NOTE!: do not fill up your reel perfectly on the vise because when you are fighting a fish and reeling in line. The line will not be placed perfectly back on the reel like on your vise. Leave ample room between your fly line packing and your reel inside edges so when you get that prized fish next to the hell's bay you can net him and not have a jammed up fly reel with too much backing....

For tippets or leaders as some call them... don't buy those fancy tapered things they sell in fly stores. They are too much $$$ and fish don't care if they are hungry enough to eat feathers. Buy some 8lb or 10lb fluorocarbon and learn proper loop connection knots. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...p.form1&Go.x=0

find a pretty fly and tie and improved clinch knot and go catch fish! Before you release the prized catch back into warm FL waters take pictures and post them here!!!

Lastly one fun thing I used to do when I was a kid was tie on a small crappie popper to fish for needle fish by docks. They are an overabundance of them in almost any FL waters and would make great first saltwater game as they are easily fooled by anything that moves and floats at the same time.... Be careful as they have some nasty little chompers especially when you are 8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2076601949_c809f9a75e.jpg (168.2 KB, 26 views)
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote