View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 17:26   #8
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornepunk View Post
My reasoning was so that I had more of the infantry basic skills and background to be a better support soldier or so that who ever I was supporting would have more confidence in me. Also to bring that knowledge down to any subordinates and superiors alike within the 35 series field. But you are right, I have experienced going through drills and exercises with ODA members before deployments or JRTC, and that my focus should be on SIGINT.
I understand where you're coming from. I thought the same thing after I joined 20th Group and requested the 14-day 11B transition course but after a few ATs and drills with ODAs, I changed my plan. Remember that SF guys are the BEST instructors out there. If they can train indig to standards, they can train 35-series!

I was already an E-7, MOSQ'd with a ton of 35P experience but ZERO Army experience when I showed up at the unit...plus I was old. I didn't know squat about 7-8 so I would be very blunt with the ODA TS: I'm good at my job but I suck at yours and I'm very eager to learn. Most ODAs were very clear: attachments weren't there to be shooters but support their operations.

I'd recommend:

1) know your core SIGINT job, be the expert, and always train. If you know your shit, the Fox will want you around because you enable him;
2) know your commo gear and learn from the Echo (they have same gear just different fill);
3) know every weapon system to employ and clear malfunctions; learn and gain trust of the Bravo;
4) know CLS and learn S4 tips from the Delta;
5) know when to keep your mouth shut (95% of the time) and ALWAYS volunteer to help the team; the TS is watching.

The best thing about being attached to an ODA is earning a spot on the task org...the hardest thing is being able to STAY on the task org.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote