View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 16:00   #9
pm410
Asset

I am NOT NGSF, but I am in the National Guard and a police officer. With any civil service job (fire/police) you can expect to have 12-15 military days per year, usually. Everything past that, you're going to have to either use vacation days, or put in a military leave of absence and not receive dual pay. My unit is currently going on 3 week AT's and drill weekends that consist of 3-4 days every month (no idea why) so I usually just submit my military leave of absence in order to not burn through all of my days off. Also remember, if you get hassled by your first line supervisor at work in regards to your military leave, it's an EEOC violation. Try and remind them of that first before immediately putting pen to paper and burning bridges. Most any police or fire department, big or small, is an old boys club to a certain extent. In regards to deployments - go as long as you want as long as you have orders, you can't be fired. Now, you may be moved in a position (i.e, from homicide back to patrol) but you can't lose rank or your job. Furthermore, make sure you put in for your GI Bill while you go through the police or fire academy. I ended up with a $10k check upon graduation from the post 9/11. Now this is all based on my experience at my PD that I work at, but it's a rather large one (over 2K officers) so most of this info generally applies to other departments and civil service jobs (I know it's all the same for our FD). Good luck on finding the job you want!
pm410 is offline   Reply With Quote