View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47   #55
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Pappy Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here.

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).
TJ, I came across a picture of Pappy Webb. Found it in this link:
http://www.modernforces.com/veteran_joe_parnar.htm

I'll share a little story about Webb. Pappy was my TS and was on his 5th tour, most of the time serving with SOG. One day we brought in a new Battalion of Cambodians and this one bode come running out of the formation into Webb's arms. They were hugging each other and the bode was weeping. Later that night I was having a beer with Pappy in our team house and asked him what that was all about. He said that bode was on his RT and three of them had been captured. The bode was tied up to a tree. One American was staked to the ground and they had a charcoal fire burning on his chest. They had been beating Pappy and he acted like he was too injured to get away, so they turned their attention back to the other American. He got up and ran into the elephant grass and hit the ground.
The gooks fired over his head and ran in after him. Pappy went back and untied this bode and they both escaped. He said the American was too far gone to save.

It was quite an emotional reunion for the both of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clarence (Pappy) Webb.jpg (50.7 KB, 101 views)