View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 08:54   #8
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Doc View Post
The above mentioned medals were finally awarded:

Devil's Brigade receive Congressional Medal

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of reading the excellent--if dated--history of the First Special Services Force: The Devil's Brigade by Adleman and Walton. My understanding is that the FSSF was disbanded after WW II, but laid the foundation for the development of USA Special Forces, their colors being transferred to the 7th Special Forces group in 1960.
The lineage was assigned to us but in reality is closer to Rangers/SMU's in tactics and purpose.

The true fathers of SF are the OSS being built off the experience and successes of Wendell Fertig, Russell Volckmann, Don Blackburn and lastly Aaron Bank. The Book American Guerrilla is what Volckmann accomplished during the 3 yrs the U.S. left the P.I. to the Japanese. What these guys did along withthe Det 101, 201,301 etc..in China did is the template of SF. In the many writings and correspondences between these architects of SF it was agreed that there is little to nothing in common with the 1SSF and Rangers units with SF mission and intent.

We had more in common with the CIA than the Rangers or SSF since we were recruited from the same pool. We were the military version of them.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote