View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 20:02   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Lots of leather gloves. Sounds funny but the number one thing they needed during the Mexico quake years ago was leather gloves.

Lots of laytex gloves. High HIV rate there.

Lots of soap. The basics will not be there.

Anti biotics for treatment of dynentary and other infections.

some way to treat your water. several high quality filters are needed. The basics will not be there.

Chlorene bleach. A 10% solution for clean up will kill all bad bugs. Note, is only good for 24 hours. you need to mix a new batch after that.

As said above take something to protect yourself. i prefer a 12 gauge shotgun but to each their own. i would take a selection of stuff if it were me.

I am sure others will give you more info on more medical equiptment like sutures etc etc. I am sure the basics are needed like bandages, kerelex etc etc. Oh yea, take some picks and shovels to bury the dead. Some diesel to burn the bodies if you cant bury them .
Good list.

In fact the 1st thing I was gong to say is GLOVES.
Leather gloves and PPE gloves. I would avoid Latex gloves for the simple fact some people are allergic to latex. So just the standard PPE gloves, like found in any ED/ER, is the way to go.

Aside from any disinfectant, bring plenty of "Cavicide" wipes. To clean equipment.

Masks. Simple ones and also some N-95 masks. Smells and "Nasty bugs" (ie Virus') are going to be high.

Vicks vapor rub, for placing under your nostrils, to mask the "smell" of bodies.

Tape. Duct tape (100 mph), cotton tape, IV tape, ect. You'd be amazed at how much tape it used in a emergency medical environment.

Pens, pens, and more pens. Also, plenty of "Sharpie" pens, in various colors.

Just a few things off the top of my head. Hope it helps. As I think of more I'll post them.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote