Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 21:19   #16
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I agree with Quixote. My understanding is that landing on your heel transmits all of your shock back up your leg, to your knee and hip joints. Ergo, knee and hip replacement surgery when you get older.

I have run a few races with Kenyans in the pack (and no, I didn't finish anywhere close to those fast SOB's). Watching them run is kind of interesting. Initially, they grow up barefooted, and don't wear shoes until approximately 17 years of age. When they run, their forward stride doesn't extend much past their hips. But, their "back kick" is crazy long. Whatever they are doing, it works. Dudes are fast and can run forever. A Kenyan won the 25k trail run I was in a couple of weeks ago. He walked up the hills(which were long and steep) and still finished with a 7:21 pace(did I mention were forded a river 8 times, jumped logs over the trails, and were on all fours at certain points in the race?)

I started having hip pain a couple of years ago. Since then, I have quit running asphalt, switched from jogging shoes to trail shoes(which have a much thinner sole and flatter heel), and have shortened my forward stride. I'm a little slower, but have no pain, and my distance has increased dramatically.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote