View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 14:54   #1
REX
Asset

Last RT Washington 1-0

Hello,
I know there are several guys on this site who serverd in MACVSOG. Wonderning if some of you may know who "Mike McCombs"is.

I came across a story on the net some time ago about this guy "Mike MCCombs" who said he was a 1-0 of RT Washington late in the War. I have put a lot of effort into this, via SOG books - internet sites and can not Identify who Mccombs is. Wondering if you might know or could figure this puzzle out?
Below is a short summary I put together:

McCombs was on and or strap hung with RT California then claimed to have taken over RT Washington when it was wiped out. However, Washington was wiped out in 1970 not 1971 or 72. He claimed he was in RVN from 71-72, and was there as late as July 1972 (very late for SOG) and at that time (may-june 72), he says the missions were being run by indig 1-0s.

NAMVET newsletter states Mccombs died in 1997. In his story he tells of developing cancer later in his life. Unfortunately, this guy had a hard time readjusting to life after the war and left 10th SF and the Army in 1975 and became a hospital security guard.

Someone else I asked said Mccombs could have been Robert McNeir (former late RT Wash 1-0), I don't know. I have cross referenced all of Mr. Plaster and Greco's books as well as some SOG internet sites for quite some time, and I can NOT identify who this guy is. Additionally, I searched this site.

Because he never uses true names this has become a real puzzle, although he states he worked with RT CALIFORNIA 1-0 "JOE STEVENS" who is most likely "JOE WALKER". I sent this link because maybe some of the SOG guys can ID this guy. This may be important because he was one of the last 1-0's to be actually leading teams during SOG/TFAE's drawdown.

Below is the link to "Mike Mccomb's" MACVSOG experience. It is fairly lengthy but his recollections have detail that would most likely NOT come from a bullshitter.

http://www.vietvet.org/namvet99.htm

check out the chapters "RT WASHINGTON" ,
"BLOOD BROTHER", and "THe Ashua" these get to the point!

Thanks,
REX
REX is offline   Reply With Quote