Thread: Bug Out Bags
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 16:53   #58
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Advice: BOBs for kids?

Gentlemen, thank you for the invaluable advice in this thread and the other survival threads on this board. I've read them all and made notes. My question is about kids in a survival situation and what they should have if they should be separated from an adult.

Specifically, in our case, boys 9 & 11. I'm putting together a "bailout bag" for each, for emergencies on our boat. We will be traveling the Gulf of Alaska by small boat, following the coastline of Kodiak Island. If something happens to myself and my husband, but the kids make it to shore, I want them equipped to survive until help arrives (at most 3 weeks, at which point family will have not heard from us at an appointed time).

I really liked QP Razor's list here. Whatever container we use needs to be waterproof and buoyant, but not too large to hinder swimming. I'm thinking a small drybag that can be clipped by carabiner to their PFD.

Items:

Lighter (easier for little fingers?)
Petroleum jelly cotton balls in ziploc or other firestarter
Powerbars, instant soup/oatmeal/pasta
Water treatment tabs
Nalgene bottle
First aid (plus safety pins, duct tape, dental floss)
Space blanket
Metal cup
Bear spray
Bug spray
Whistle (maybe a mirror?)
Personal information
Knife (Leatherman, other folding knife)
Headlamp or flashlight
2-way radio?
Extra batteries for radio & flashlight
550 cord
Small tarp?
Waterproof shell (pants & jacket)

Instruction beforehand on S.T.O.P. (stop, think, observe, plan) and fire, shelter, food & water priorities. Also, the area we will be in has several remote cabins. It's possible they can follow the coastline and find one. However, I'm uncomfortable having them venture away from the coast. There is also the possibility of signaling fishing vessels. Cell phone service is nonexistent. The environment is often chilly, wet, and contains large predators. There are very few trees, but plenty of driftwood for fires. Neither boy has a firearm.

Because of the weight concern, things like sleeping bags & extra clothes, tent and other motherly wishlist items are not on the list, but a drybag floats, no?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this post is in the wrong section, I apologize. There are several good threads on survival, but this one dealt with packing a bag.

Thank you,

v/r
Susan