View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 17:32   #13
Jason17
Asset

Quote:
Unless things have changed, MOS 98G is unique among Army MOSs in one critical respect for this plan of yours. That is, it is not possible to attend SFAS as a 98G. (Again, unless things have changed!) Forever and ever there was a moratorium on MOS qualified 98Gs from attending SFAS because they are always in critically short supply (or so I was told). It was very difficult to change your MOS for any reason, even as a re-enlistment option. Lots and lots of SOT-A guys would have loved to go to SFAS, and some did, but branch would not release us to change our MOS to anything at all - not even 18 series. I know first hand, having been through it myself. I tried three different times to "slip through the cracks", but to no avail.
That is definitely cause for concern. Why is 98G always undermanned? I would imagine that given the choice of having someone walk away from the Army at reenlistment time or choose what they want to do, the Army would choose the latter. Then again, I have had no prior experiences with the Army other than recruiting, and I can say I have seen more efficient processes.

Quote:
Unless they are too personal, you might consider asking your (well-framed) questions in the open. The SOT-A path is an interesting but seldom-discussed option that other recruits will also be interested in.
I would have no problem asking the questions out in the open. My concern is in causing any OPSEC problems on an open forum, but I suppose anyone with truthful information regarding this type of thing would know what not to divulge. I am doing some searching to see if I can find information on my own, but I can tell there is not too much available.
Jason17 is offline   Reply With Quote