View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 05:43   #7
glebo
Quiet Professional

Cool, Ham stuff. I haven't dabbled with that in yrs since I left the echo committee in 91. (Hey, I could bring radios home )

I'm not familiar with the newer FCC power restrictions, so not sure what power your amp will produce, or the FCC will allow.

However, we all know it's the frequency that counts. You could put 1k watts through an antenna on a freq and make zero contact if the freq's not propin', skywave that is. More watts on ground wave will obviously push the signal out further...the ground wave portion, not the skywave portion of the antenna.

Believe it or not, vertical antennas are pretty good at long range comms, they usually have a lower take-off angle. However on the lower freq's as we know, it takes a lot more wire, unless you have some sort of loading device or a coil.

Horizontal antennas are somewhat easier to erect off the ground if you have the supports available.

As stated, for directivity and portability a dipole can fold up into minimum space, so can a verticle (jungle) if you want omni coverage.

Part of being an Amatuer operator is trying different stuff out to see what does/does not work. Not necessarily using stuff out of a box...JMO anyway..

Probably not much help, except a bunch of long winded stuff...lol

Good luck. Post again when you find the good stuff..