View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:10   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I was thinking for quick access as opposed to on a belt since a pack waist belt would be in the way. We have an increase in cougars here in the NW and my hiking buddy has seen cougar sign on one of the trails we hike. I guess a drop leg setup would be better? Maybe the LHR would be a bit too big for the shoulder strap or just a bad idea.

I don't have any experience carrying like that, just trying out different ideas. Any input is appreciated. Should just get my CCW and start carrying.
If you are going to use a knife against cougars as your only line of defense, you have crossed that fine line between hard and stupid IMHO.

If you carried LHR the way you noted above, you would have a few issues due to the sheathing system - and a few bruises, scrapes and dings on your person.

Meet me in the Christiansen or Spartan area, I'll bring my LHR for you to see... and check out the sheathing system. You may want to look at spending a little more money on a different knife - Pacific, GB, Trout, or one of the Spartans - I am negotiating with HH6 for a purchase of the "Golden Blade of Death" (Horkos in flat Dark Earth with the tan Micarta handles) - a true Zombie exterminator.

I like the LHR, but in the hiking situations you're talking about, there are better choices. In Cougar infested areas, a boomstick is better than a sharp pointy.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote