View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 09:21   #9
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
Fillers aren't mixed with the powder. they are spaced between wads seperate from the power. More like a place keeper. Just to occupy air space in a black powder cartridge.. it does slow velocity which may sometimes be a desired effect. or some times to insure the same amount of powder in each cartridge. This allows more control of velocity. I had not heard of cream of wheat but many different materials. to include Cotton, stacks of wads, oat meal, grits, so why not cream of wheat. thanks, Dave
The only time I have heard or done reduced charges is in pistol loads. Lets say you have a Colt Walker and want a lighter load.

Filler is also used in rifle loads when smokeless (Modern powder is used). Filler is using pillow stuffing fiber (polyester) I had a trap door and to use a modern powder that is what I used.

I have heard of cream of wheat. On a metallic cartridge load, I would use a powder measure to dispense the powder, another the filler, then the wad, then compress the load with the bullet. All BP loads are compressed loads. That is why filler's are used to adjust the load, if bullet depth/wad/powder granulation size combination does not do it.

Only non-compressed load that I know of, is the 1857 combustible cartridge sharps.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote