View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 13:45   #8
Odin21
Asset

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I think that this may be what I am looking for, if not then definitely something similar. I just want to have enough stuff on me that if we are working with vehicles, maybe stopping by ANP checkpoints, taking a quick tour of a police building, etc I can get out of the truck and be able to work with what I have on me and what is the the PT's IFAK at least for a short term without having to carry the aidbag in everywhere. We are MPs. We don't plan on ever being more than 50m or so away from our trucks. I have tried using a NARP medic leg rig in training but I really do not like having a leg rig that sticks out 6-8 inches. It sounds like I can get all the stuff that the Army recommends into a pouch like the one you carry and that way I don't have to worry at all about having a medic leg rig in addition to a pistol leg rig. Again, I know that I need to run more but with a Safariland on one side and a NARP medic rig on the other it made moving through doorways awkward, much less trying to get in and out of an ASV...

In keeping with what some of the others have said on here about DA missions, where the medics just took what was on their vests and a TT FRB or maybe an M9 aidbag, and left the big one in the truck- what do you guys think about "normal Army" doing the same type thing? If we do stop for a KLE, check point inspection, etc. and the platoon sgt wants me with him, should I try to load up for bear with all of my stuff, or would you feel comfortable walking around with a TT FRB and a decent vest pouch? If the general consensus is that I should just try to stick with the big aidbag then I guess I will hit the gym more and ignore the medic vest question.

In regards to the fire superiority- I have never been in any sort of infantry unit, but I gather that no one only carries the 210 rounds. As a medic, if I have the extra space on my vest for that SAW pouch, CTOMS pouch, etc should I just go with more ammo or should I go with more TCCC stuff and stick with 210 rounds or a rough equivalent in 12ga? I understand that the answer is METT-TC dictates, but at the risk of asking a dumb question, what are some general guidelines on deciding how to balance medical vs firepower? If someone would like to PM their answer I understand that too. If it is time for me to quit asking questions and go back to reading I understand that as well, please just let me know.

Thank you all again for your time, guidance, and patience. I am trying not to ask dumb questions or waste anyone's time, I just want to learn to think like you do so that I can come up with the answers for myself. My fear is that I will come up with the answers AFTER I need them. What is the old saying- experience is something that you get right after you need it?
Odin21 is offline   Reply With Quote