View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 13:31   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

RIP Brother...would have really enjoyed meeting this man...got this from a guy on our 3/5th web.

Herr Havel was a German teacher during my fortunate opportunity for a tour in Tolz from 87 to 90. His stories about his childhood in CZ were quiet interesting. He would tell about the Nazi invasion as well as the Soviet occupation. He also told a funny story about how he came to join SF. If I remember it correctly he had joined the US Army and a guy came around asking for volunteers for SF. He thought it meant the same as Special Troops Unit did in the Soviet Army...and since he is a very good artist he thought it may be the perfect unit for him...he said he did not realize his misconseption until he was on orders and showed up for training....Herr Havel made language training fun...no small task. It ended up being as much a history lesson about Europe and early SF as a German class. We would consistantly make errors in our pronunciation especially with the I E...he would correct us by saying "E FOR EDIOT"...I am sure some of y'all have seen his a rt work...the one of the A Team and partisans sitting and standing around the table in candlelight is a true classic and my favorite. He has himself in this one as well as other Tolzers. Good luck Herr Havel ! Walt Garren
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote