View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 15:54   #68
brokenvan
Quiet Professional

Impressions

I've been carrying the MK 17 since I got in country. Been loving it. I have switched between barrels, as I had the 20in on there, but now that's off since it's huge and gets in the way of everything. Now I'm rocking the standard 16in barrel with the SCAR-specific, 130gr 7.62mm rounds. I went with those due to the higher muzzle velocity vs. M80 and M118LR and that they were designed in conjunction with the SCAR.

Pros:

1. Accuracy. The SCAR is an extremely accurate gun. The shot group is very tight, definitely 1 MOA or better every time. I have been able to hit 800m with a 1-4x Elcan and the 130gr rds with consistency. Even the 13in barrel will hit 500m with ease.

2. Ergonomics. The ability to raise and lower the cheek weld independent of the length of pull is very nice. The amount of options for adjustment seems a little daunting, but getting it to fit you makes it worthwhile.

3. Gas piston operation. Maybe just personal preference as my personal AR is an LWRC, but I am a firm believer in gas piston guns. Yeah, the report is a little louder and there's a bit more kick and flash, but I'll take those trade-offs for the warm and fuzzy I get knowing that my gun won't have a malfunction due to the heat and carbon buildup in the chamber and bolt.

4. Ease of disassembly/reassembly/cleaning. Too easy. Not a lot of moving parts, no tools needed, and the gas piston operation makes cleaning a breeze.

Cons:

1. Reciprocating charging handle. It's bitten me a few times. Having it mounted on the right, my hand hits the optic sometimes, so I moved it to the left and have had fewer issues with that.

2. The magazines. I wish they would've gone with standard mags. I worry about dropping mags since we don't have too many replacements. The SR-25 pouches kind of work, but not as well as if it was with an actual SR-25 mag.

3. Component durability. As stated in the previous post, I too have noticed the ease at which the metal sling loops wear. I have corrected this by using the 2-point VTAC sling, but it would be an issue for guys who want either a single point or if their sling has metal attaching clips. The buttstock is also held into place by the plastic lower, and neither seem to be particularly sturdy. Haven't seen it yet, but I've been hearing that the buttstock breaks easily.

4. Not everybody is using it. If I run out of ammo, I can't bum a mag or two from somebody else. I'm SOL or delinking 240 ammo.

All in all, I have to say the pros outweigh the cons. The fact that it's 7.62, accurate as hell, gas piston, and ergonomically pleasing is much more worthwhile to me. But as always, YMMV.