View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 01:38   #4
greentick
Quiet Professional

Love the 550 as well. I do both of those calibers on it.

If I am doing an OCW for a new projo I will set the powder measure a little short and then put in on the scale and trickle to the desired amount. No fancy trickler, just one from Midway years ago. On the 550 you manually advance the rounds thru the stations so you can use it like a single stage, with some thought.

I am not a precision shooter but I do like turning out quality, consistant ammo that matches my rifle(s).

I have a bottom end Lee single stage for prep work (decapping, or pulling with a collet die).

Other stuff:
Some lighting from Inline Fabrication (several diffenent presses supported). Then also make a lot of organization and ergonomics widgets.

Something to pull your Oopses with, either a kinetic or collet puller.

Case trimmer, lots of options. I have an RCBS manual trimmer and a Possum Creek trimmer for 556 that goes in a drill if you want to crank through some brass. There are much higher quality trimmer out there/more expensive.

Hornady headspace gage: so you can minimize how much you resize you brass to get the most life out of it. Of course you need calipers too.

Primer hole deburring tool.

If you buy "once fired" brass with a crimp, you will need a decrimp widget. I have a motorized "prep station" with a RCBS crimp removing attachment, just takes a second or two. I also have a simple hand tool version.

Lots of places to buy overruns, seconds, and pulls for projectiles and brass: Shooters pro shop (nosler and SSA), Rocky Mountain Reloader (lots of pulls, brass) are two of my favorites. SPS does a 10% mil discount too. RMR has great prices and free shipping.