View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 21:22   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
And how many users actually properly insert them into their ears. I use flanged earplugs with my rifles and I read the instructions. I wet them, reach over my head with the arm opposite the ear, and insert them deeply. I have never seen anyone else do that. And the foam ones are supposed to be squeezed and rolled before insertion. I mostly see people just push them in with no prep. Self inflicted wounds.
I use flanged ones just as you do amd was taught that. not in BCT but later actually by a medic; and actually my favorites are the foam ones, rolled properly beforehand when they set it is like peace in the world. Still use 'em.

Lots of non-firearm related environments, chronic exposures hours long x years, have probably also made a mess of many veterans' hearing. Think signal vans, RATT rigs etc. Hell, even the mainframe comm floor in the Pentagon was an audiologist's nightmare with mainframes, disk drives the size of washing machines, and 20 point-to-point TTY's and their crypto clacking away. And massive HVAC.

Anyway, to the original thread... if I wanted assistance doing anything like that I'm fortunate to have a county VSO that truly has their shit so together it's like having a free lawyer (and not often one can put those two words together into the same sentence).

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote