View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:54   #37
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I do hate the current Wild Card format ("everybody's a winner" vs. continually climbing meritocracy). It would be criminal for stars to align that allowed someone like the Twins to win just the right 3 games against a team like Cleveland. The WC winner should play the lowest ranked division winner.[/rant]
I can't agree with that. In the best-case scenario, the two best teams in the league should face off for the pennant. But in your scenario, #1 would face #2 in the division series, with #3 facing the WC, so there is no way #1 and #2 could both advance.

As it stands right now, as a Cubs fan, you should be OK with facing the Nationals in the division series. The Nats are ending the season in a lackluster fashion (10-10 in their last 20 games) and look a little worn out.

I am not a huge fan of the second wild card, since baseball is about endurance and performances averaging out over a series, so a single-elimination game seems un-baseball-like. It also messes with your strategy - for example, should the Yankees put their number one starter in the WC game against the Twins, he won't be available for the most important match-up against the Indians, but if the Yankees don't, then they might not make it to play the Indians at all. Same for the D-Backs/Rockies (BTW, I have nothing against the team, but every time I hear "D-Backs", my brain wants to hear "D-Bags", so maybe not a good nickname).

At least the MLB playoff system is better than the NBA one, where more than half the teams make the playoffs (16 out of 30), and every round is best-of-seven, so the playoffs seem to go on forever. It makes the TBS/TNT "win or go home" tagline to the playoffs a little ridiculous.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote