View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30   #12
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Some very good inputs here! Made me step back and consider the different ideas. In the end I'll probably incorporate most of them.

Craig that helps put a lot of things into perspective. The system originated sometime in the 30's-40's...a time when springs were more prevalent. Indeed it is plumbed as JJ said where each tank operates individually and are tied together for aprox 540 gal ( new system with 2 tanks will be closer to 600 gal, after phase 2 is complete). We are currently in drought conditions spring output was aprox. 1 gal per 40 seconds with an interesting surge every 16 seconds hence the reservoir volume. It will be interesting to check that after a rain. It appears the low profile troughs were used to accommodate the gradual fall from the spring boxes before the shelf of land ran out. The new tank on the bottom end is now full of crystal clear water and holds just at the rim of the tank. Water level at spring box is 14" below ground level.

It appears the springs may be moving around I will probably build a clandestine system above the original and use totes there instead. Longer story as to why...

Today springs are not allowed in the area but since this one is grandfathered I am rebuilding the parts, which I have to admit has been a humbling experience which has included shopping at 4 different businesses in two different locals. Lots of fitting old plumbing to whats available today, cleaning old rusted threads, and a mix of nylon, rubber, galvanized, and poly piping and trying not to reduce any of the system beyond the capacity.

I will post a few images when able.
Thank you all for the feedback!
New Tank filling, One of the helpers...not the bear, water at the tap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 053.jpg (130.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (134.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (74.5 KB, 10 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 06-07-2018 at 06:13.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote