View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 17:03   #13
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Tom Myerchin

Sorry for this off-topic post in a thread dedicated to SGT Taylor. I tried to create a new thread in the "TAPS" section for COL Tom Myerchin (mentioned in the article about SGT Taylor), but I do not have privileges in that AO. Moderator, if not too much trouble, can you either give me temporary posting privileges or move this post?

I've attached the photo I mentioned last Friday.

The two photos were taken by my father, the book page .... "borrowed" from Shelby Stanton's Special Forces at War: An Illustrated History, Southeast Asia 1957-1975, p. 233
Online source.

Although identified as "Operation Phoenix" my father responds,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Power
...All of these guys are members of B-33. We were all involved in long range patrols, but I don't recall "Phoenix" being assigned to any of them. I have searched for the names, but can't find anything. The tall guy back left was our first sgt., the one on the right is Sgt. Pat Crowley. I can not recall the other names. I thought for sure I'd remember the 1st Sgt. ...
...I guess they gave the name [Phoenix] after I departed in 12-66. The [sanitized] ammo was standard issue for CIA and troops operating across the borders. It was designed so as not to point fingers at a particular government. We in Det. B-33 were not issued this ammo.

[follow up] This photo was taken inside our compound as you can see the water tower in the background. Left to right; Tom Morgan, S-1; 1st Sgt., ? , Tom Myerchin, S5; Pat Croley ( I misspelled his name before). Maybe after I print some of the slides, I'll have some more pictures. The names are hard to remember. I didn't take the fore-site to write names on the back of pictures after I was back in the states. Over there we didn't do it because of MI involved and there were no rosters like we had in Thailand.

Regards,
--ghp95134
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cia1966phoenix.jpg (61.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Widder.jpg (91.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Widder-1965.jpg (235.2 KB, 38 views)

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man

Last edited by ghp95134; 06-17-2013 at 17:22.
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote