View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 08:57   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Do not self diagnose gall bladder problems, or how not to kill yourself, Stupid.

One butt heads self medication blunders and How to get to complacent about your condition..

I have had three(3) gall bladder attacks in the last 20 yrs. Not a big thing. If I watch what I eat,,no problamo.. I take (Prilosec MEPRAZOLE) as required. One pill has always worked.

Until, September 12th... I had made some simple pasta sauce, stock sauce with added hamburger and a 1/2 lb mushrooms. Tomato sauce can be problematic, because of the high acid content, but I had not had any in over a month.. Had a little gas after dinner, during the night a little more. Still no big deal, simple "bloated" feeling. Next day it continued, I had taken one of my gas pills Friday night, took another. By this time I had other lower gastronomic bowl problems, ( u no what I mean). Went to a liquid intake only to maintain hydration. Moderate
pain, but it seemed to be getting better. I have a standing script for Tynol-3 for my back, but "it wasn't that bad"

By Sunday afternoon, I thought it was better, but decided to go to the ER anyway. Did not feel good and I never had a gall bladder problem last more the 6-10 hours.

Here is where the story get strange. My cuz Teri drove me to the ER, Bless her soul,

I was mobile, alert, no fever or other symptoms, just the gas bloat, pain radiating from the upper intestinal track. No dizziness or light-headiness, No throwing-up, BUT Now even drinking water hurt.

Then I can only guess the process and timing, BUT my systems started shutting down. As I can piece the story..

1)the gall bladder stones somehow did a push back into my pancreas.
2)the pancreas was pissed so it pushed nasty stuff into my liver and kidneys
3)everyone of my markers were off the charts, white count 1800, amylase and lipase over 2400
4)while doing tests in the ER, I can only say I thought I was having a heart attack or something, I could not breath the abdominal pain was that bad. O2 was 95+ but I could not breath.

Doc comes in and I had an acute pancreatic attack, and was on the coin flip for kidney dialysis. Jaundice set in after I arrived within 3 hrs. Somehow I managed to get to the ER just in time and the team managed to delay, then stop the major problems.

After a week of doing stuff, the kidney & liver numbers were down, I was off the dialysis list. On Saturday, Sept 20 The offending gall bladder was removed. I finally was released Friday the 26th.

As to the activity during this period, I have little remembrance. Pain and drugs were my diet, communication was not there. I had lost 7 days.

The DEAL,, If I had not stopped being a butt head and taken myself in, I may not be here writing this note..

How bad was it?? I had 4 roommates between initial entry and exit. All 4 were in for similar problems. All four went to hospices...

JJ
A time traveler, very happy to return to reality..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote