View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior11b
I'm 35, I am a prior 11b, but now im in AGR status with the Air Guard. Talked to a recruiter yesterday and told me that I can enlist as a 18X, I know you have to do a minimum of 3 years on a ADA and be SSG, by that time I'll be 40+, now the question is, would I be able to waive that 36 YOA ceilling to become a warrant officer in SF?
That is a pretty long shot for you, as I told the original poster.

I do not know what being in ADA has to do with becoming a 180A, but I do not think you will get that age waived. Too far over the limit and little team time remaining. Three years is the minimum, the board may not think you have been on a team in long enough to make a good Assistant Detachment Commander. Besides, it would take you over a year to get through the training pipeline, if you were a first time Go at all events.

BTW, unless something has changed lately, as an 18X, you will get to do Basic and AIT all over again. Then Airborne, SFPC, SFAS, the NCOPD courses, the Phases, to include language and SERE, etc. Serve on a team with some success. Then get to O&I and complete that course, becomiong a very junior 18F.

I have served on a team with a retired on active duty warrant, and it was not fun, for him, or us. If by some miracle, you manage to get through all of the training, get the waiver, and make it to become a 180A, do us all a favor and keep an eye on your performance as compared to the rest of your team members. If you are the last man to finish the run, can't stay near the front on the rucks, or are the last man out of the pool, do the right thing for the team and look for a job at battalion or higher. Being on an ODA is a young man's game.

The time to have made this career move was about six to ten years ago.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote