View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 22:39   #21
RichL025
Quiet Professional

cbtengr,

Hope you're able to get in & get your surgery soon. Gall Bladder problems can be frustrating & not always clear-cut to diagnose.

I will tell you that I do this procedure fairly often, and I usually tell my patients that afterwards they can eat whatever they want. Some people can get "post-cholecystectomy syndrome" where they will get milder symptoms like you describe when they eat greasy or fatty foods for up to 6 months after surgery, but it usually resolves on it's own.

However, reading the responses by tst43 and Kyobanim, I gotta say, I'm going to start telling my patients that weird, individualized food intolerances are possible. I can honestly say I have never heard of tst43's reaction, but everyone is different...

More to the point - your surgeon was correct, removing the GB is not generally an emergency in the situation you describe.... HOWEVER, if your pain / discomfort returns and it lasts more than 6 hours or is accompanied by fever, or if you are unable to keep anything down, all bets are off & go back to the ED. When you do, make sure to let them know that your surgeon was planning to remove your GB anyway....

Good luck to you & dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions