View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 13:40   #14
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
Trapper,

I went on R&R in September '72 and Tedrick was OK then. All the team members had a plaque made for him and I was to send it to Parkersburg when I got home. This was in anticipation of his return to the "world." If he was wounded it must have been in September time frame because when I returned from R&R I never returned to Long Hai.

The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the AO because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods. We continued south for a few days just west of Van Keip. WE did run into about 17 VC/NVA coming north. Being the recon element we just called in the mortars and exited the AO. No BDA was done.

Gotta run so I'll be back later!
Albert-

Quote:
The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the AO because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods.
Very interesting, I was up on that same small mountain with a recon element and ran into a shit pile of those f'kers. They were everywhere. Our AAR pointed that out and concluded that no enemy could set up to use that mountain as an attack point without alerting us to their presence. I think we concluded that this area was secure. I guess that little tid-bit of information never was read or believed after the change of command.

As to Tedrick, I am pretty sure he was wounded in September/October. BTW I was from Parkersburg too and that is how we connected in camp before I left a month or so later.

Do you recall a large area devoid of vegetation on the mountain looking West and slightly North from the 50-cal tower? Interesting story how it got that way.