View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 22:42   #52
Soak60
SF Candidate

Well, I didn't see any of this stuff on here, so I guess I'll put up what I've learned so far about the M4 weapon system (I'm just a dumb Private coming out of Red Phase though, with no prior experience with weapons). I'll try to stick with slightly less obvious things.

1.The M4 that I am using has a maximum listed range for point targets of 500m; I have been told that between 600-700m is also possible. I've only ever hit things at 300m, which is what my rifle is zeroed to, and that was off a sandbag.

2. When I smooth my trigger, I make sure to release slowly and try to listen for a click that lets me know I can pull the trigger again and not have to put as much pressure on.

3. There is enough weight on the front end that when I point post and sprawl I have to pull back pretty hard with my firing hand to keep the butt in my shoulder so I don't end with the muzzle in the dirt, and me in the front leaning rest position.

4. When I clean my M4 the star chamber is always dirty. Always. So is the firing pin, and most of the bolt and bolt carrier assembly.

5. If I am in the prone unsupported position and allow my magazine to rest on the ground, I might be able to hit Fast Freddy. Not much else though. (Not really M4 specific, I just saw an earlier comment about mag length)

6. If I keep my weapon clean, the actual weapon will not fail me. If I get a double feed in my M4 it is usually because my magazine was not seated right or has a spring problem. If SPORTS doesn't work with my M4 my best best is to drop my magazine and try to pull back on my charging handle. If that's stuck, try to pull back and simultaneously stick a couple fingers up inside the magazine well and diddle around. I'd like a QP to give an opinion on this one, cause it makes me nervous.

7. If I am trying to engage targets at range with my M4, I keep my buttstock fully extended.

For the M68:

1. Keep the red dot as low illum as possible. The instruction I was given was to train your eye to the lowest possible light.

2. If your red dot jumps around inside the scope, first assume that your fundamentals are wrong. If you concentrate hard and it still jumps around, your elevation and windage adjustment springs may be screwed up. Don't waste 3 days on the zero range figuring this out, because then you will have to qualify with someone elses weapon, that may or may not be properly zeroed.

3. I prefer to keep both eyes open with targets up to 75m, and close my left eye during my breathing cycle for targets farther than that.

I haven't done MOUT or anything like that yet. I realize that most QPs will just get a laugh out of this. But I figured that since I stumbled into this thread, and I am actually in training now, I was under an imperative to try to give answers. So I did.
Soak60 is offline   Reply With Quote