Thread: Survive!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 16:16   #35
Maple Flag
Auxiliary

My approach and kit

Good thread, and good replies. The basic principles of wilderness survival are there in various forms. I like the concept of 5 minutes without O2, 5 Days without water, etc. but also agree that this should not be interpreted to mean that you want to act NOW, not get into the mindset of waiting for the emrgency to come to you.

My activity list is similar:

-Day 1

Before I go to sleep the first night, I will scout a good location and build a debris shelter insulated enough to get me though the night.

Once done that, and again, before I sleep, I will get a fire started, and put good fire wood in the shelter to dry for future use.

Once done that, I will seek to purify water, but this can wait if needed for the next morning.

-Day 2

Purify available water on hand by means available.

Set out distress markers, signals, etc. Plan for large floating distress marker in lake if one is nearby.

Set up rain water collection facilities.

Plan foraging, trapping, and hunting. Test/consume food readily available in immediate area.

Continue to collect fire wood supplies in excess of planned daily burn. Include readily available smoke signal materials if aircraft should be heard in the area.

-Day 3

Implement foraging, trapping, and hunting plan, including constructing tools, traps, etc. In the process, explore the area looking for means or rescue, as well as means of survival.

Enhance and fortify shelter.

-Day 4 and on

Review foraging, trapping, and hunting plan from lessons learned the previous day.

Continue to collect/construct tools, markers, other assets while enhancing survival potential in other ways as needed.

My kit (real life) that helps to support the above activities:

1 L Nalgen bottle, containing inside:
Chlorine Water Purification drops
Day/Night signal mirror
Survival reflective blanket
Cordage
Folding knife
Wire Saw
Lighters (2)
Matches
Magnesium fire starter
Soup and Sugar Cubes (looking to improve here)
Fishing Kit
Sewing kit
Button compass

I'm looking to replace the Nalgene bottle with a metal container with a screw lid that I can boil water in.

I also carry in my ruck a large 300 weight fleece blanket in day glow orange (keeps me warm at night, even if damp, and makes a great hi-vis marker panel during the day). It weighs little, but is a bit bulky.
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote