Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 22:06   #17
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
My understanding is that landing on your heel transmits all of your shock back up your leg, to your knee and hip joints. Ergo, knee and hip replacement surgery when you get older.
This is what my GF said after her running seminar. The problem with modern running shoes is that they promote heel to toe steps which causes problems later on. Running barefoot or with minimal cushioning prevents this. And as mentioned earlier it is not something that is to be done full on right away. The runner must gradually start this method of running over a period of time. Simply deciding to run barefoot and then run 10km will be one hell of a sore experience. And to the best of my knowledge, one does not need to be only restricted to running on soft surfaces although I would imagine it would be preferred.

The biggest problem she told me that the instructor saw with this style of running is climate. Up here in Canada, running barefoot is fine for the summer and not so much a good idea for the winter.

Quote:
When your kid is born let him/her spend as much time crawling as possible.... does great things for upper/lower limb coordination down the road.
Of course! To clarify myself, our child will wear wetsocks when he/she actually starts walking.

Quote:
It already has to some degree with the Nike Free and such. I think it will be going much farther in the future.
You are right about the Nike Free and even track sprinting shoes can be worn too. My GF simply said that many running shoe manufacturers are hesitant about this style of running as the shoes are less expensive and they tend wear our less quickly.

Again if anyone has any questions about this, let me know and I can ask her. As a physio, she can answer questions in much greater depth than I can.
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote