View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 20:27   #5
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENCITO18D794 View Post
I am new to reloading. I have about 1,000 rounds of .223 brass ( mostly Lake City ) imagine that. They are any where between 20 years old and new, so my intention was to decap it all, polish it, and reload it. Got it decapped with no problems. I have an RCBS Case Master. My question is how long should it take to remove the miliatry primer crimp using the Case Master. It seems I am grinding quite a bit on some of them.
Ken:

If they are mixed lots as you stated, you wll grind on some more than others due to differences in crimping, brass, etc. No sweat. Grind away and the ones where the primer goes in too easily -- get rid of them. The ones where the primer doesn't go in -- you didn't take enough of the crimp out.

As Hollis said, Dillon makes a swaging device that basically rolls the crimp out of the way. It is a decent tool but you will have to adjust it given different lots.

I have the Dillon tool, have broken the RCBS military crimp removal tool and it sucked anyway. And I have reamers that ream out the crimp.

These days I use a reamer attached to a power drill and cut the crimp out. If I cut too much and the primer goes in too easily -- I throw the brass away.

Any way you cut it (he, he, he) you will realize that it is a better bet just buying commercial brass.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote