View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 20:39   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
TS:

I find it much easier to know the ordinate given a 300 elevation. About 6" at 160 meters. Go from there with holds until a fellow is under 30 meters and then it is either point of aim or hold about 3 inches higher than the impact location.

I spent a couple of hours on a KD range trying to figure out a true reduced 300yard zero. Closest I got was about 33 yards. I also shot two targets to show trajectory. Zeroed up at 300 pretty solid then shot the targets at 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 160, and 200 as a graphic representation of trajectory of M-855 ball fired from a carbine.

Was pretty neat and if one has not done such a actual test, he will be very surprised at the results. Not what one would envision. It also provides a good challenge to those who are anal about shot placement as there is not a real big vertical spread so basically center hold is just fine from a barrel to 300.

Gene
Can you post the target, sketch the POIs, or describe the rise/drop from the various zeros?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote