View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 15:58   #9
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

I've heard of people using "Earth Magnets" for this. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...arth%20magnets

It was a while ago, but I think they had it sewn into a small cordura pouch, with Molle straps on one side, and smooth cordura on the other. That way they could place it where they needed it.

I don't know if they ever had problems with it, but I have heard of it.

For the record the Earth Magnets our supposed to be ridiculously powerful. One of the guys from Mythbusters is always using them. They say with, the bigger ones (hockey puck size) you have to be extremely careful, because you can loose a finger if it gets between them when they connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Would you trust your life on a fastener that requires clean surface contact between metal and metal? Factor in weapons oil, dirt, blood, etc? It would be a hard sell from my point of view.
supposedly they are strong enough that this isn't a problem.

I know it's Wikipedia but it fits with what I remember: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet

The greater force exerted by rare earth magnets creates hazards that are not seen with other types of magnet. Magnets larger than a few centimeters are strong enough to cause injuries to body parts pinched between two magnets, or a magnet and a metal surface, even causing broken bones.[6] Magnets allowed to get too near each other can strike each other with enough force to chip and shatter the brittle material, and the flying chips can cause injuries. There have even been cases where young children who have swallowed several magnets have had a fold of the digestive tract pinched between the magnets, causing injury and in one case intestine perforations, sepsis and death.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine

Last edited by Max_Tab; 11-03-2013 at 16:05.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote