View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56   #69
Earl_J
Asset

... not on skin ...

I had a bout of chiggers once - 40 or so years ago right here in NC...
Learned my lesson... I now wear two or three flea and tick collars on any extended stay in the woods. I would wear one in each blouse of my boots - outside my socks and tucked inside the blouse not to touch any skin... I pull the blouse down over the tops of my boots. If the loop is longer than required, I trim the ends into shorter pieces an inch or so long and place them in pockets and pouches of the rucksack.
I also wear a third one looped between two or three belt loops on the back of my trousers... never had a problem after that.
Chiggers look for places of constriction; boot tops and belt line... don't ask me why...

The trick is not to wear the collars in any spot where they can contact the skin or come into contact with your hands or face during the normal daily routine.

I scratched at night (in my sleep) until I had holes in my calves about an inch across... they were very nasty... I still have the scars; although faded somewhat.
On a side note, perhaps that squalene connection might be our modern day version of sitting out in the sand in Nevada during a nuclear detonation...
We seriously injure our own military in the name of research and combat safety ... (sigh) through simple ignorance, and the irresistible desire to see how close we can get to the train before getting decapitated...

God bless both groups of dedicated military members 60 years apart for their service and sacrifice ...

"Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all..."

Until that time ... Earl J.